Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Wednesday Words of Wisdom

So, I thought that Wednesdays would be a great day to share some words of wisdom with everyone. For the first day of words of wisdom, I thought there wouldn't be a better place to turn than God's Word. The passage I chose for today is not only from the Bible, but it was written by the second wisest man to ever live, King Solomon (the first is Jesus). This passage is one of my favorite's from the book of Ecclesiastes.

Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NLV
For everything there is a season, a time for every activity under heaven.

A time to be born and a time to die. A time to plant and a time to harvest.

A time to kill and a time to heal. A time to tear down and a time to build up.

A time to cry and a time to laugh. A time to grieve and a time to dance.

A time to scatter stones and a time to gather stones. A time to embrace and a time to turn away.

A time to search and a time to quit searching. A time to keep and a time to throw away.

A time to tear and a time to mend. A time to be quiet and a time to speak.

A time to love and a time to hate. A time for war and a time for peace.

This has always been one of my favorite passages in all of scripture because not only is it beautiful and poetic, but it also shares one of the most important principles for every Christian to realize: Everything happens in God's time. I often wonder when certain things are going to happen in my life. This wondering then leads me to question God's timing and judgement, but reading this passage reminds me that everything happens exactly when it supposed to happen, and not a moment before. God's timing is perfect. Even the bad things in life are there to teach us and prepare us for better times. All of my life I have been a planner, and I can't stand to not know exactly what I will be doing today, tomorrow, five years, or even ten years from now. Whenever I start to get impatient in my life, I read this passage to remind me that everything will work out in it's own time. I hope if any of you are feeling impatient about something, that this passage can help you to realize the same thing.

No comments: